The Puerto Rico Seismic Network urges all state, federal and private agencies, educational institutions, health facilities, media, communities, families and individuals in the region of Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands to participate in the CARIBE WAVE 2018 Exercise. By participating in this exercise the public will be able to test their emergency communications systems, their emergency response plans, their evacuation plans, and perform other activities that prepare us for a possible tsunami in our region.Each agency or individual should evaluate ways to participate based on the official CARIBE WAVE 2018 Exercise Participant Handbook and the PRSN Response Guidebook for the Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands Region. They must also determine the type of participation according to the resources available to them (see the exercise webpage for more ideas on how to specifically participate, for example, emergency agencies, schools and Tsunami Ready municipalities).
In general, you can participate as follows:
- Register in the Exercise to receive with the official messages issued by PRSN and PTWC:
- Monitor messaging issued by PRSN on our website: http://caribewave.uprm.edu
- Perform at least one of the communication test and document the times of these communications, through the channels that are available, such as:
- Monitor the activation of any local emergency broadcast system (EAS through radio and TV).
- Monitor any activation via NOAA Weather Radio (if available)
- Monitor the activation of coastal sirens (for those municipalities that have them)
- Monitor messaging issued by the PRSN by email (only for those registered emails or existing list servs PRSN)
- Monitor text messaging by PRSN (only for those registered mobile messaging list). This also depends on your cell phone provider.
- Revise and test the emergency plans and time of response if drills are coordinated.
- Coordinate the realization of one of the five types of exercise in your area, region or municipality. Document it and report it to VITEMA (USVI only) or DDM (BVI only), PREMA (PR only), and PRSN.
- Orientation or Seminar
- Simulated or tabletop exercise
- Functional Exercise
- Full-Scale Exercise
- Complete Exercise Assessments to improve response times in our local area.
- Complete the electronic evaluation of the Puerto Rico Seismic Network communications exercise, before the March 31, 2018 (using as a basis the information collected in their Communications Evaluation Sheets), through the following link http://caribewave.uprm.edu
- Complete the official evaluation form of the exercise, before April 4, 2018, using the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CaribeWave18