The Puerto Rico Seismic Network exhorts all state, federal and private agencies, educational institutions, health facilities, media, communities, families, and individuals in the region of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands to participate in the CARIBE WAVE 2021 Exercise. By participating in this exercise the public will be able to test their emergency communications systems, their emergency response plans, their evacuation plans, and perform other activities that prepare us for a possible tsunami in our region. Each agency or individual must register and evaluate the ways to participate in the activities suggested in the Official IOC Participant Manual for Exercise CARIBE WAVE 2021 and the content of this page. In addition, they must determine the type of participation based on the resources available to them (on the exercise page we provide more ideas of how emergency agencies, schools and TsunamiReady municipalities can participate specifically).
In general, they can participate in the following ways:
- Register in the Exercise in http://caribewave.uprm.edu o https://www.tsunamizone.org/register/
- To interact, prior to the exercise, with the stage and the official messages of the PRSN and the PTWC, for this visit the official page of the PRSN http://caribewave.uprm.edu.
- Carry out during the fiscal year (March 11) at least one of the communications tests (by the various means available to them) and document their times. Some tests can be:
- Be aware of the activation of the EAS (by radio and TV)
- Observe NOAA Radio activation (if equipped)
- Be aware of the activation of the WEA
- Be aware of the activation of the coastal sirens (for those municipalities that have it available)
- Observe the messages issued by the PRSN through its official website http://redsismica.uprm.edu
- Follow PRSN Social Media publications (Facebook and Twitter) Red Sísmica de Puerto Rico – Home | Facebook and Red Sísmica de PR (@redsismica) / Twitter
- Conduct at least one of the 4 types of exercise in your community, region or municipality (document and report it to the PRSN, PREMB-PR, VITEMA-USVI or DDM-BVI)
- Tabletop exercise
- Functional Exercise
- Full-Scale Exercise
By conducting these drills, we recommend to review and test their emergency response plans and times.
- The general public can also conduct or participate in discussions, orientations, and talks on tsunamis. You can even watch a movie on the topic and discuss it with your family.
- Develop your family emergency plan or update your emergency plan. This includes preparing or updating your safety backpack.
- If you live in a coastal community you can review your eviction map and route. You can also walk the eviction route with your family to the meeting place.
- Complete the Exercise Evaluations:
- Complete the electronic evaluations of the PRSN before March 31, 2021 (using as a basis the information collected in its Communication Evaluation sheets of the Puerto Rico Seismic Network Exercise) through the official website of the exercise: http://www.prsn.uprm.edu/caribewave/evaluación/
- Complete the official evaluation form of the IOC-UNESCO exercise, before March 26, 2021 (if applicable).